in my last post, I wrote about how I made battery powered temperature and humidity sensors for my home automation system. In this post, I’ll describe how I improved them.
I made two main improvements to the sensors, firstly I removed the LEDs from the esp8266, in order to increase the battery life, then I put all the sensors in small plastic boxes, which protects the circuits while making them look way nicer.
Improve power consumption
Using the deep sleep ability of the esp8266 chip, i managed to reduce the power ocnsulption greatly, which a;lowed me to last about a week on batteries. However, the leds mounted on the esp8266 were still drawing power all the time.
The solution is really easy, I just unsoldered them using my solder iron and a pair of pliers.
Well, that was easy. Next step is to put the modules in boxes.
Putting the modules in boxes
The DHT11 module (that senses temperature and humidity) will have to stand outside of the box, so the measured values are as close as reality as possible. Check out the picture legends for a description of each step!
Working on these gave me lots of ideas for different sensors, stay tuned!